On his last visit to England, the tall person went to see his brother who lives in their ancestral village of Stogursey in Somerset.
The village is very old and contains the remains of a moated 11th century castle built after the Norman Conquest.
The tall person and his brother went to the village church of St. Andrew where several of their ancestors from the seventeenth century are buried.
The church is a legacy of a Benedictine Priory that was established by a Norman lord, William de Falaise, who had been given the village by William the Conqueror as a reward for faithful service.
Remains of the Priory walls and a beautifully restored Dove Cot still remain.
The church was already in existence when the monks took over the Priory. The herring-bone in the tower masonry uncovered during restoration work in 1954, together with the pier capitals in the church, date the building to the last decade of the 11th century.
The church tower, which is capped by a spire, survives from the late 11th century and holds six bells, the oldest of which dates from 1611.
The bells are still rung regularly. The tenor bell weighs an impressive 1.25 imperial tons!
The beautifully carved pew ends date from 1525. The tombstone is one of the tall person’s ancestors.
It is set in the stone floor in front of the sanctuary inside the church, a place reserved for important members of the community. The tall person’s ancestors owned much land in the parish of Stogursey and also in surrounding parishes.
The church has a graveyard that has several very old lichen covered tombstones.
This one probably pre-dates the tree that has grown alongside it and displaced it.